Quote of the Day

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." ~ Erica Jong

April 23, 2011

The Importance of Pets

I love the feeling of soft fur curled up next to me, or a cold nose nudging me awake in the morning.  Growing up, we always had cats. I remember that when I was the saddest, my  brother's cat would come to cuddle with me, rubbing and purring more than ever.  My mom said that animals are instinctual, they know when you need them most.

These days, I have two cats and a dog. One cat, who lived in the laundry room for the better part of three years, has barely left my bed since February. The other slept under the covers with me for three weeks straight.  My dog has taken to escaping through the broken fence, only to go around to the front door and bark. This act forces me to get out of bed to let her in. She will do this continually, until I give up and stay in the living room. They know what I need better than most humans. They know when to cuddle up with me and when to take me for a walk.

How is it that animals are so sensitive?  They can feel the shift of the earth prior to a quake, sense the change of tone in a voice, the change of the mood in a room.  How do they know that tears are a sign of pain?  What is it about them that makes their mere presence so consoling?

1 comment:

  1. I think our pets offer us unbiased unconditional love. Well most of them. My cat wasn't as loving, especially when I tried to express my woes and he bit my lip... but the majority of them offer us a closeness and reassurance. Always nice to hug on something warm and loving. ; )

    ReplyDelete