Quote of the Day

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." ~ Erica Jong

April 21, 2011

It's Time to Start Being Selfish

I will often put others first, I have a generous soul. I've been burned a lot because of it, too. It's not that I'm an easy target for scams, actually I am very skeptical of strangers. I tend to be taken advantage of by people close to me. These days, it doesn't take much to lose my trust, and it's become very easy to cut some people out of my life.

It's time that I start putting myself first for once. It's been such a long time and I've forgotten how to do that. Where do I start?  It's about so much more than taking a personal day every week.  I need to take a personal inventory... evaluate some relationships. I need to surround myself, protect myself, with the trusted few.

Cleaning out the friend closet won't be hard. My standards are pretty high.... Don't lie to me. If someone has to lie to me to save face or to hide something, then we really aren't friends are we? I don't think that's unfair or too much to expect. In the past, I was too trusting and couldn't see the lies. Now I question everything.  It's amazing what lies you hear when your head is clear and eyes are open.

My ability to trust the people close to me is the first step in looking out for number one. No more wasted time listening to stories, excuses and lies.

No comments:

Post a Comment