Quote of the Day

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." ~ Erica Jong

March 12, 2011

Depression Is Not a Weight Loss Plan

Clean eating and exercise are beneficial to the body and the mind. We know we have more energy when we eat healthy foods, and people who exercise regularly benefit from a boost in mood and lower rates of depression due to the release of endorphins to the brain. I have known these facts for years.

So why is it the most movement I can get from my body is the walk from the bed to the couch, and when I can eat, all I crave are sugar, tater tots and sauces? Thankfully, due to an inability to put food into my body, I have still lost 7 pounds.

More unfortunate facts: I've lost muscle, not fat.... I'm screwing up my metabolism, which is two strikes against me considering my age.... and when I start eating again, I'll probably gain back 10.

So, now that the black cloud is slowly rising, I'm able to start moving again. Zumba has been the recent activity of choice. The music is fun and motivating.

The food thing though..... I am unable to physically eat! I mean, 3 bites in and I'm feeling sick and done. Even if I can get a full plate finished, I still feel ill afterward. And goodness knows, no vegetable has had reason to feel threatened by me in the last 2 months.

Do guys respond to depression the same way? Do they also spend their days on the couch sleeping through daytime television, getting up long enough to eat half of a box of thin mints? By the way, a shout out to the Girls Scouts of America.... your timing is impeccable.

I know what I need to do. I will force my butt out of bed (by noon at least), do some sort of physical activity (I'm sure the dog would appreciate that), and threaten a carrot or two at least once a day. I'm sure that each day it will get easier and soon I will start feeling better about myself physically and mentally.

1 comment: