Quote of the Day

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." ~ Erica Jong

March 18, 2011

Mean People

What do you do when mean spirited people continually go out of their way to hurt you?  My first instinct was to write about it and I did.  I wrote, I blasted, I went there.... and it felt good.  Then I was reminded that I am no longer 15, and I tucked it away.

"Take the high road, take the high road, take the high road."

When I was in the second grade, I was a bit of a crybaby and there were 3 boys who took advantage of that fact each day on the playground. And each day, I would run into the classroom to the comfort of my teacher, Mrs F.  She must have grown tired of constantly having to console me, because she sat me down and gave me the sound advice that I have given my own students. "They are just trying to get your goat." Of course, being seven I wasn't sure what she meant, but I was smart enough to ask. She said,  "People will continue to tease you as long as you allow them to get to you. Stand up to them and show them that they can't hurt you, after that, ignore them."

THAT'S the way to deal with hurtful people.  Ignore them;  recognize that their meanness comes from their own insecurities;  don't stoop down to their level;  know that I can only control my actions, not theirs;  what goes around comes around, etc.

I will remember that negative energy and actions come back like a boom-a-rang to only knock you in the back of the head. I really don't need to do anything because the universe will respond accordingly. I will surround myself with positive energy and rise above the urge to give back hurt.

I will always look for a positive in the negatives in my life. There is always something for which to be grateful. I'm grateful that I am constantly being given new writing material.

2 comments:

  1. Positive advice. ; ) If we think with anger and hate, then we in turn feel the anger and hate. I really appreciate and admire this paragraph. Thank you... puts things in my life into perspective.

    "I will remember that negative energy and actions come back like a boom-a-rang to only knock you in the back of the head. I really don't need to do anything because the universe will respond accordingly. I will surround myself with positive energy and rise above the urge to give back hurt."

    ReplyDelete
  2. So absolutely true. Sometimes you have to make a definite effort to step off of the down escalator to bummerville and onto the up flight.

    ReplyDelete