Quote of the Day

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." ~ Erica Jong

March 4, 2011

How It Started

First, a comment on the title......
      I didn't discover the "evil" until just a few days ago. Until, then I would have defended his character with every ounce of my being. I'm sure some of you out there have  your own stories which are probably worse than mine. I keep you in my prayers and hope that you are well on your way to healing. Whether or not Wyatt is true evil?.... let the story unfold and you decide.

In January, Wyatt, my boyfriend of 11 years, broke up with me. It was not an easy relationship. We had incredible highs and lows. He was honest with me about his issues with getting close to someone. We became best of friends. We developed trust, and eventually he opened up to me the way he couldn't with anyone else. Although his issues with addiction were very hard for me to understand, I tried to support him the best I could. (And yes, I realize now that this "support" is also known as "enabling".) I eventually fell in love with this man and thought that he had felt the same. We were very different from each other, different backgrounds, different upbringing, but yet we had a lot in common. I've always said that I couldn't think of anyone else I'd rather spend 36 hours with in a locked room. He confided that he had been cheated on. He knew how I felt that cheating was the worst betrayal I could imagine. I knew in my heart that he had many faults but that he could NEVER do that to me.

When he broke up, it was because he felt that we had drifted into the comfort of being best friends but not much more. He blamed himself for the difficulties that I was facing and he was afraid that he would keep bringing me down... that I deserved to be treated better. He was having issues with his sobriety and needed to put himself into a position where he would be held accountable for his actions. He SOBBED that he couldn't stand it if he lost his best friend. That he wanted us to always be close.

It hurt so much.....I deserved to be treated better by HIM, not someone new. He knew the deepest part of me. He was so much more to me than my best friend..... And I knew that I needed to let him go..... I knew he was right and that staying here with me was not helping him stay sober. Very adult right? We were supporting each other through this difficult time. Talking and texting now and then. Hanging out for short periods. He still helped with repairs around the house. We planned on how we would deal with his boat (in my name) and his repayment of the money he wanted to pay back to me. I didn't want to lose the friend that meant SO much to me. Of course, I hoped that he would find recovery, healing, self respect and success... and that he would come back to me a better man, and we could be truly happy together.

Damn you Disney and John Hughes!

And then it just started going downhill.......

No comments:

Post a Comment