Quote of the Day

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." ~ Erica Jong

March 28, 2011

How to Quiet Your Brain in a Multi-tasking World

The title is actually more of a question than a statement. I tried meditation this morning, and it was the longest 3 minutes of my life.  How hard can it really be? Well... finding any block of time free of interruption is the first challenge and I don't even have children. And the whole quieting my brain thing?  Hahahahahahahahahahahaha......

When did I become such a multi-tasker? I must have been the last kid on the block to get a laptop and cell phone. Believe it or not, 6 years ago I could wait until I got home to make a phone call and even used a pen and calendar for organizing my appointments. But now, I look at my computer screen and I see 6 tabs open.  I am busy checking out emails, blogging statistics, news, and websites for fitness classes in my area.  Sitting beside me on my right are my android and house phones ringing and buzzing.  On my left? Pen and paper... for my list of all the things I need to get done today. (Which I will most likely lose.)

Personal growth is hard for a person who can't work on one thing at a time. Where do I start?  What do I do? Where do I go? Who can I get to help me? I am so NOT a patient person and it doesn't help when my *ADD days have the potential to turn into ADD weeks. I guess that this is the point of "personal growth." I need to recognize what changes I need to make and actually change, one day at a time, one change at a time.

Having too much to do isn't  all bad though. At least it's keeping my mind off of the painful stuff (most of the time). Things need to get done, otherwise it will be hard to empty my mind when I meditate. Ah.... that vicious circle.

So, this is my life right now, but it's a lot better than hiding under the covers with my door locked watching old TV streaming on Netflix. That was yesterday.

*ADD- Attention Deficit Disorder

No comments:

Post a Comment